Last night, all but one Republican in the U.S. Senate voted against extending the payroll tax cut for 160 million working Americans and small businesses in order to protect millionaires from paying just three percent more on money they make above a million dollars.
Washington Republicans put millionaire tax giveaways ahead of putting money in the pockets of ALL working Americans.
Working American families are getting crushed — our leaders need to put them first. Last night, Washington Republicans put millionaire tax giveaways ahead of putting money in the pockets of ALL working American families. They voted to make every American worker and small business owner pay MORE taxes just so millionaires can pay LESS. We all do better when we all do better. And that means looking out for all Americans, not just the wealthiest 1%.
For those who say:
- What hurts small businesses is taking away jobs from Americans who shop in their stores. The Republican plan, which not even half of their party could bring themselves to vote for, would do that just to keep millionaires from paying a penny more in taxes.
- Compared to the Republican plan, the Obama payroll tax cut would put more money in the pockets of all small business owners AND 160 million customers.
- Actually, only 1% of small businesses make over a million dollars a year — and even they would get a tax cut under the Obama plan.
- Small business owners and Americans who work for a living power our economy — and they benefit the most from the Obama tax cuts.
- We can’t go back to "trickle down." We saw what it led to under Bush: the slowest job growth since World War II and record deficits.
- But when President Clinton made millionaires and big corporations pay their fair share in taxes, we got millions of new jobs and strong economic growth.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- If the current payroll tax cut expires, over 160 million Americans will see less money on their paychecks starting next year. A typical family’s taxes will go up by almost $1,000 and a million jobs could be lost.
- President Obama’s plan would extend and increase the payroll tax cut to $1,500 for a typical family, cut taxes for ALL small businesses, and create more than 50,000 jobs each month.
- Compared to the Obama plan, the GOP plan would lay off 200,000 Americans who keep our country running. A payroll tax cut is worthless if you’re kicked off the payroll.
- This year alone, Washington Republicans repeatedly chose millionaires over jobs for our teachers, construction workers, and even veterans, and kept trying to make working Americans pay more taxes so millionaires can pay less.
- Millionaires and billionaires are raking in higher incomes and skyrocketing bonuses while paying the lowest income tax rates in generations.
- Most Americans agree that we need to raise taxes, including 3 out of 4 who support making millionaires pay higher taxes.
|My Book: As I See It: Class Warfare The Only Resort To Right Wing Doom
Book’s Webpage: http://amzn.to/dt72c7 –